Massachusetts R.M.V. Rules
Driver's education is required for everyone under the age of 18. This consists of 30 hours of classroom instruction, 12 hours of actual behind the wheel driving and 6 hours of back-seat observation. One parent is also required to attend a separate 2-hour parent class before the student can start on-road training and/or observation with the driving school.
The Registry of Motor Vehicles regulations allow a student to start classroom instruction at the age of 15 years and 9 months. Actual behind the wheel instruction and in car student observation both require a student to be at least 16 years old with a valid learner's permit.
Facts About Your Permit
- Your permit is valid for two years and allows you to practice your driving skills as you prepare for your road test.
- You must carry your permit whenever you drive.
- You must always be accompanied by a licensed operator who occupies the passenger seat next to you. This person must be at least 21 years old and have a valid license with at least 1 year's driving experience.
- If you are under 18, you may not drive between the hours of 12:00 am and 5:00 am unless accompanied by a licensed parent or legal guardian.
- A class D learner's permit allows you to operate a motor vehicle in another state as long as it does not violate the laws of that state.
- You may only operate a passenger car.
Massachusetts Junior Operator License (JOL) Requirements
- Complete a Massachusetts approved driver education course.
- Accumulate 40 hours of supervised driving with a parent or guardian.
- Hold a valid learner's permit for a minimum of 6 months.
- Receive no moving traffic violations resulting in a conviction for the six months prior to the date of application for the JOL.
- Successfully pass a road test exam.
- Pay the required fees directly to the RMV.
- A Guardian must show legal proof from the court on road test day.
If you have any other questions about Learner's Permits or Junior Operator Licenses, check out the MA RMV's FAQ's page or visit the Massachusetts RMV website.